During the normally quiet days between Christmas 2003 and New Year's 2004, British Columbian's were stunned to watch the RCMP and the Victoria Police spend Sunday afternoon executing a search warrant on the Legislature and spend most of the day carting boxes and boxes of files and hard drives out of the offices of the Ministries of Finance and Transportation. As this was such an unprecedented event in the history of western democracies, the PR firms disguised as media could hardly ignore what had happened and GlowBall (or was it still CTV then?) and the local papers all covered the spectacle. The very first edition of the Vancouver Sun for 2004, published on Friday, January 2, (shown above) published twenty-seven questions in white letters on a black background. The question today, almost six years later, is whether ANY of these questions have been answered yet.
Here are the questions, and my thoughts on some of them.
The 27 Questions for British Columbians
- What triggered this investigation?
- How closely linked is the drug investigation led by federal prosecutor Robert Prior to the investigation led by special prosecutor William Berardino?
- What if anything is the link between drugs, organized or commercial crime to staff in the B.C. legislature?
- To the federal Liberal party?
- Who are the nine people recently arrested and why have none of them been charged?
- What premises were searched on Sunday?
- Who was arrested Sunday and then released?
- Have other arrests been made?
- Were other search warrants executed prior to Sunday's action?
- Have any criminal charges been laid in either investigation?
- If so, when and against whom?
- Does the government know more than the public is being told?
- How is the suspension of Victoria police officer Ravinder Dosanjh linked to this investigation?
- Why would RCMP spokesman Sergeant John Ward choose a press conference on the raids at the legislature to say that "organized crime is a cancer eating away at the social and moral fabric of British Columbia"?
- Does the fact so many individuals have connections to the BC Rail deal mean anything?
- Has the investigation uncovered evidence that government policies or decisions may have been illegally or inappropriately affected?
- Were phones at the legislature or politicians' private phone lines tapped?
- Are there connections to Indo-Canadian gangs?
- Other criminal groups?
- Does it mean anything that so many of the individuals have links to the federal Liberal party, Prime Minister Paul Martin's organizing team in B.C. and his leadership campaign?
- Why did a 20-month investigation come to a head on a Sunday between Christmas and New Year's?
- Why was Dave Basi fired and Bob Virk only suspended?
- Why would the government fire someone who has not been charged with any crime?
- Have the province's $28-billion operations been compromised?
- How long will this investigation cast a shadow over B.C.?
- With so many unanswered questions, can the citizens of this province be confident in the government's ability to function effectively?
- Will this affair adversely affect the province's economy and reputation?
I keep thinking it must have been Chief Battershill, because the way they've been obfuscating ever since, it is not likely it was initiated by the RCMP! And it appears that Chief Battershill paid for his efforts to perform his duty to the people of BC and Victoria with his career.
This is territory that little attention has be given to in the last few years, indeed I didn't realize Wild Bill was "special" before the raids!
Does the rigged auction of BC Rail count as commercial crime and how about members of the B. C. Legislature rather than staff?
People had been arrested already by Friday?
Let's see, wasn't it Mark Marissen/Christy Clark's? and maybe Pilot House, but who knows for sure
Was anybody? Who would have been at the office on the Sunday between Christmas and New Year's?
None of the appropriate people, so far!
As I recall there were, and also a couple of "polite requests" were made to "important" individuals, too special to serve search warrants on.
Eventually three minor fall guys were charged.
Basi, Basi and Virk, almost a year later
I don't know, you tell me!
Maybe to divert attention from the real issues and actual (as yet un-indicted) criminals?
It seems likely, but disclosure seems to be a foreign concept in the BC (in)Justice System
Basi's cell, at least...........
Is/was Basi connected to Indo-Canadian gangs, other than by blood to his Indo-Canadian cousin who was recently sentenced to a long stretch in prison for being the king-pin of the Island drug trade -(almost secretly, as no one would have heard about this without the diligence of BC Mary).
Does the Gordon Campbell government count?
Nobody seems to want to go there (or anywhere, really)!
Perhaps somebody thought nobody would notice, they would all be home celebrating with family? Or perhaps the cops needed some super overtime to pay for Christmas? OK I give up, you tell me!
This one always puzzled me, especially since Mr. CampBULL and his chief of staff knew NOTHING!
This is the same as 22, just worded differently, and I still don't know the answer.
The whole province has been compromised since the Campbelloids came to power, so yes!
Almost six years so far AND COUNTING!
I'm not, how about you - have you noticed how on top of things Ida Chong and Colon Handsome Sneer are looking lately? But that was sure a nice 1/2 million dollar party in Richmond earlier this year, sorry I wasn't invited.
What reputation - as the leading banana republic north of Nicaragua?
After publishing this eye-catching edition and asking the questions above, the drones of Canned Waste soon lost all interest in the Legislature Raids and the subsequent, still ongoing by fits and starts, kafkaesque legal farce that may or may not actually lead to a trial someday. Herr CEO Campbell has been re-elected twice with this cloud hanging over the head of him and his government. Of course with the help of the tax-payer funded propaganda machine, the Public Affairs Bureau, and the Liberal Campaign Firm otherwise known as CanWest/Global, this has joined all other important issues in BC as being irrelevant and unmentioned, especially during election campaigns.
If anyone has any answers to any of the questions above, please tell me about them in the comments. One reason I numbered them (they were un-numbered in the Sun) was to make it easier for folks to respond to individual questions, if they so chose. More recently it seems to me someone came up with a list of eighty some questions regarding this affair, and those too seem to be mostly unanswered. I really think the citizens of British Columbia deserve better and it is long past time for the Campbell Crime Family to live up to its claims of transparency and co-operate with the courts in disclosing information and complying with court orders for disclosure. It would also be nice to try and stop destroying potential evidence in a criminal case, it should go without saying.
Click on image at left to see the complete front page with other articles and advertisements.